(IAAC) Obj: M 87, NGC 4486, MAC 1230+1234, UGC 7652, MAC 1230+1221, NGC 4476, NGC 4678, NGC 4486A - Inst: 40" f/5 dob

----

Observer: Mark G.Birkmann
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 3-5-2000, 8:30 UT, (2:30 CST)
Location of site: New Haven, Missouri (Lat ~38, Elev ~700 feet)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 5 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 5 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 40" f/5 dob
Magnification: 235
Filter(s):
Object(s): M 87, NGC 4486, MAC 1230+1234, UGC 7652, MAC 1230+1221, NGC 4476, NGC 4678, NGC 4486A
Category: External galaxy.
Class: E+O-1 pec  Sy
Constellation: Virgo
Data: mag 9.59  size 8.3 x 6.6
Position: RA 12h:30m49.4233s  DEC +12:23'28.043"
This bright galaxy is easy to find in northern virgo between the naked eye stars
30 Vir and 6 Com.  At first glance I saw nothing noteworthy, just a large
elliptical galaxy that was bright in the middle and gradually faded towards the
edges.  But after a time I noticed a faint star embedded in the southeast side
of the galaxy and two very small nebulous streaks near the edge of the galaxy
on the southwest side.  Since I was observing this galaxy with the hope of
seeing the jet, as a result of reading a successful observation in a 20", I
immediately assumed that I was seeing two of the brighter portions of the jet.
I wrote down some notes and began to sketch what I was seeing, including two
relatively bright galaxies not far to the west and one nearly stellar galaxy to
the south.  However, as I was observing I began to notice a small, bright, thin
extension of the core on the northwest side of the core that was visible during
moments of good seeing.  I drew it in and labeled it with a question mark
wondering if this was the jet rather than the first nebulous areas I had seen.
Then I decided to call it a night since it was late and I had to get up early
the next day.  After doing a little research I found that what I had first
thought were two bright portions of the jet were actually galaxies UGC 7562,
mag 16.8, and MAC 1230+1221, mag ?.  The jet turned out to be the small feature
I had noticed near the core, MAC 1230+1224 according to MegaStar.  The jet was
a difficult observation due to the average seeing on this night.  But I think it
would be visible in 20" or possibly smaller scopes under good conditions since
it appeared to be fairly bright.
A drawing can be seen at:
    http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/twyford/637/m87.htm

--