Constellation: Boo
Data: mag 11.2 :11.9; size 4.0' x 1.9'
Position: 14:32:47 +49:27:27
NGC 5676: 12th mag spiral galaxy in Boo.
I came across this one while star hopping to IC 1029 and NGC 5673. It
is significantly larger and brighter than that pair and was quite
obvious at 82x. At 165x it took on the appearance of a football-shaped
smudge with a bright stellar core embedded in a brighter central
region. My first impression was that of a tiny Sombrero galaxy, but
further observation revealed no sign of a dust lane. It did appear
slightly mottled--a look at the POSS DSS today reveals two fairly
bright spiral arms, which is probably what I was detecting.