(IAAC) Obj: M17 - Inst: Vixen 102 FL(f/9) on GP mount

----

Observer: Bill Becker
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 06-July-2000  4:10 UT
Location of site: Casper Wyoming (Lat 42*55mN, Elev 5200')
Site classification: Suburban
Sky darkness: 5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 5 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: Major - gibbous or near object
Instrument: Vixen 102 FL(f/9) on GP mount
Magnification: 131x
Filter(s): Ultrablock
Object(s): M17
Category: Emission nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Sagittarius
Data: mag   size
Position: RA :  DEC :
M17(Swan Nebula): I started viewing unfiltered and found this nebula
using Mu Sag as a launching pad. Though it was big and bright at 53x,
there was just a mere glimpse of nebulosity that was best seen with
averted vision. The famous "swan-like" shape did not jump out at me but
I could tell that there was some kind of defined shape so I attached my
Ultrablock to the 18mm Radian and WOW....now I see how it got its
nickname! Seeing as the images were pretty steady, I switched to my 7mm
Nikon wf with the filter and again, I was overwhelmed with the glow. As
my scope's orientation is N at top and E to the right, I saw the Swan in
an awkward position for a "bird". ;^) Also saw a nice little cluster of
stars located in the same fov to the ne of m17 but not appearing to be
enveloped in its "cloud"; nice added little bonus.
Hey, this Nikon is pretty good on dscos.

--
Optional related URLs: