Constellation: Cyg
Data: mag   size
Position: RA 20:50  DEC +31:00
Wow, what can I say! This is truly a remarkeable object.

The sky tonight was amazingly clear so I thought I would give the Veil Nebula
a try, not expecting to see anything. It was utterly invisible without an OIII
filter, but it was surprisingly easy with the filter and the nebula jumped right
out of the field at me.

First seen was NGC 6960 surrounding 52 Cygni. To the north of 52 Cygni, this
segment is most conspicuous twisting around for about half a degree to an about
mag 8-9 star. On the south side this segment is extremely tenuous and not nearly
as 'thin' as to the north.

NGC 6995 and NGC 6992 could be traced for about 2 degrees! There were bright
twirls of nebulosity interrupted by fainter segments and dark bands and gaps.
There was an East-West extension near the south side which might be identified
with IC 1340.

Wonderfull object indeed.

There is a sketch on this object on my homepage: URL mentioned below.
--
Optional related URLs: http://home.wxs.nl/~geldo006/home.html