(IAAC) Obj: NGC 520, Arp 157 - Inst: 40" f/5 dob

----

Observer: Mark G.Birkmann
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 9-7-2000, 8:00 UT (3:00 CDT)
Location of site: New Haven, Missouri (Lat ~38, Elev ~700 feet)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 5 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 5 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 40" f/5 dob
Magnification: 408x
Filter(s): none
Object(s): NGC 520, Arp 157
Category: External galaxy.
Class: peculiar
Constellation: Pisces
Data: mag 12.2(B)  size 4.5' x 1.8'
Position: RA 01h:24m 34.3s  DEC +03:47'43"
This galaxy (pair?) is relatively easy to find.  There appeared to be two
components.  One was shaped somewhat like a boomerang, bright on the northwest
end and gradually fading into the background sky glow on the southeast end.  The
convex side of the bend was to the southwest.  A faint, wedge shaped area of
nebulosity was located adjacent to and south of this fainter end with a dark
lane running in between.  At times the center of the bright section seamed to
be stellar.  I neglected to write down which way north was when making the
drawing.  I have based my directions in this description on the dss image.  A
drawing can be seen at http://members.fortunecity.com/faintfuzzy/drawings.htm
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/twyford/637/drawings.htm