(IAAC) OBJECT: NGC4125 (galaxy) INST: 14.5" FL 1580mm newt

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate - Many years
Date and UT of observation: 11/20/00 09:00GMT
Location & latitude: 22 mi. West of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude (visual): approx. 4.8 zenith, 4.7 vic.object
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best): 6
Moon up (phase?): Crescent
Weather: Clear
Instrument: 14.5" f/4.29 fl=1580mm Newt
Magnifications: Various from 83-260x
Filters used: None
Object: NGC4125
Constellation: Dra
Object data: Galaxy
Size(s): 5.8x3.2
Position: 12:08 65:10
Magnitude: 9.8
Personal "rating" this aperture: C+

The interesting galaxy is particularly bright in it's core.
An easy find, but very small. Looking at it further
though increased the visibility of it's extensions,
giving it a clear elongation with a hint of spiral
twist to the extentions.

Additional aperture and less light pollution would
aid greatly in viewing this galaxy. There was a nearby
approximately 14.5 mag. star very close to the galaxy
which caused a false impression of interacting with
it, and made it look like an arm was twisting towards the
star , similar to M51, but I'm almost sure it was an optical
illusion.. if anything, I think the extention from the core
twisted a bit in the other direction. There is
another pretty star, approximately mag. 12 that is also nearby..
a bit further out. Both stars were "above" the galaxy as
viewed inverted in the Newt.