(IAAC) Obj: Abell 33 - Inst: 13.1" Dobsonian

----

Observer: Dave Aucoin
Your skills: Advanced (many years)
Date/time of observation: January 23 2001 11:00pm EST
Location of site: Westford, MA (Lat , Elev )
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 5.0 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 5 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 13.1" Dobsonian
Magnification: 47 X
Filter(s): UHC
Object(s): Abell 33
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Hydra
Data: mag 12.9 SB 16.1  size 275" x 260"
Position: RA 9h:39m  DEC -2:49
This Pne was visible only with extreme averted vision, thus
looking from the side of the EP fov, and the nebula on the
other side. I could only detect this Pne with a 2" 32mm
Erfle and UHC as the size was large. I would say that this
planetary looks alot like Abell 39 in Hercules in size and
shape, although Abell 39 had a more distinct round shape.
Abell 33 did look round, but it appeared ghostly faint. No
real detial was seen only the hsape and size could be
determined. It had noticable edge. Watch for a mag 7.2 star
very close to the nebula. Just south of Iota hydra.
--
Optional related URLs: