Constellation: Leo
Data: mag 10.5b  size 7.5 x 5.0
Position: RA 10:43m 57.8s  DEC +11:42' 14"
nearly in the middle of a triangle of three stars:  3.8 mag 47 Leo, 5.5 mag 52
Leo, and 5.3 mag 53 Leo.  The core was brighter than the bar which was in turn
brighter than the ring.  The ring was a subtle feature due to the glow of  the
galaxy both inside and outside the ring.  The third star from the left does not
show up on the dss image I downloaded.  I initially thought I had found a super
nova or an asteroid.  But neither of these turned out to be the case.  A star
does appear at this position in the USNO A2.0 catalogue but it is vmag ~19.6 so
the object I saw is almost certainly nonexistent.  A drawing can be seen at
http://members.fortunecity.com/faintfuzzy/drawings.htm
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/twyford/637/drawings.htm