(IAAC) OBJECTS: M13, M92 (globulars) INST: 90mm refractor fl=800mm

Observer:  Todd Gross
Your skill:  Intermediate +
Date and UT of observation: 02/27/01 08:55am GMT
Location & latitude: 22 mi. West of Boston, Ma. 42.3N
Site classification: Suburban
Limiting magnitude(visual): 5.3(est) zenith  5.1 object vic.
Seeing (1 to 10 - worst-best): est. 7
Moon up (phase?): No
Weather: Clear
Instrument: 90mm Sky90 refractor w. ext = fl800mm
Magnifications:  108-200x
Filters used: none
Object: M13, M92
Constellation: Her
Object data: Globulars
Size(s): 16, 11 arc min.
Position: Hercules
Magnitude: 5.8, 6.5
Personal "rating" (at this aperture, and sky condition): B+

Exceptional night for my location. This tiny refractor was boosted to 200x for
best resolution of these globulars. M13 split best at around 150x, 200x was
best
for M92 which is tighter.

M13 appeared in its resolved form with string of stars coming out from the
core
in arms. Stars were pinpoint but dim. The arms laid in the
correct directions from previous observations
but I did not easily see the dark lanes within the core. Ill have to look
again.
Although it was easy to split even direct-vision, I noted that averted
vision was
still best.

M92 also showed resolution especially on the outermost stars which laid far
from
the core, but even some of the overlying stars over the core were resolved.
Felt it was not quite as cracked into individuals as M13, but appeared almost
as good, especially with the impressively bright core which had more contrast
to the black sky surrounding. Core appeared effectively just as bright if not
brighter than M13.