Observation Poster: Don Clouse <dlcdeepsky@home.com>

Observer: Don Clouse
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: October 10, 1999, 10:00pm EST
Location of site: Golden Pond, KY (Lat 37, Elev )
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 6.0 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 8 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Celestron 8" SCT
Magnification: 58x
Filter(s): OIII and UHC
Object(s): NGC7293, Helix Nebula
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Aquarius
Data: mag 7.5  size 16.3'
Position: RA 22:29  DEC 20:50
I could not detect the nebula without a filter.  It appeared nearly circular
and quite large, perhaps 20'.  Large thick arc segments were visible on both
the SW and NE sides.  The central area and small sections on the SE and NW
sides were noticably dimmer with the NW edge being the fainter.  The nebula
was not as bright with the UHC but still quite apparent.  Two brighter stars
border the NW, one on each side of the arc.  Another, fainter star, borders
the west edge.  With averted vision, a faint star on the SE edge popped in and
out of view.  Averted vision also revealed the central mag 13.5 star popping
in and out of view.  In one last try without a filter, I was able to barely
detect teh nebula.

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: