Constellation: And
Data: mag 3.4, 8.1, 8.5, ?  size 178'x63', 8'x6', 17'x10', 4'x2'
Position: RA 00h:40m  DEC +40°:
At first view I easily saw three bright galaxies, but M 31 seems
spanning just about half field of view wiew at 40x. It has the bright
core with round bright glow around it. On the each side of the glow
are two regions with somewhat lower surface brightness, which I easily
saw at first look. Averted vision hadn't help me a lot because there
was too much stray lights. When I put a black T-shirt over my head,
after only a few minutes I could see the huge, faint, extended glow
around M31 even without averted vision, spanning more than 1.5 field
of view. With av.vision just at the end of the galaxy is a small
brigtening of the mentioned faint glow. That should be NGC 206. M 32
is small, round, bright and rapidly fades out, while M 110 is large,
with relatively bright core, slowly fades out, it's elongated with low
surface brightness. I counted four faint stars across it. The sketch
is available at the mentioned URL.
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.geocities.com/natkobajic
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: