Constellation: ARA
Data: mag 7.8 13.4pm*; size 7.1'
Position: 172529 -482524
I was stunned tonight to get a good view of this fine
little object down below the tail of the scorpion, in
Jim Cooper's portable little Pronto. First impression
was unnmistakable: this was one of the LOOSEST richly
resolvable GCs I've ever observed! Or more accurately
my FIRST impression was "Wow! This must be one of the
richest OPEN clusters I'd ever seen!" Notwithstanding
the obvious faintness of many constituent stars (most
below mag 14), I was still able to stare at mid-power
and count the stars individually, right into the very
core without danger of getting confused! (I would be
very curious to read other observations of n6352 with
larger scopes: as Telescopic Limiting Magnitude drops
is it very much harder to count stars?) NGC 6352 must
be common on the August lists of every starparty org-
anizer Down Under and near the Equator. But for any of
our readers North of the EB who haven't had a glimpse
of this fascinating object near their lowest southern
horizon - I recommend it to be very worth the effort!
But be warned: it'll be a challenge at lower altitude.
--
This amazingly loose (and nearly extragalactic) group
of stars is actually classified as BOTH an open and a

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: