Constellation: CYG
Data: mag 5.22 6.03; sep 29.7"; pa 148o
Position: 210654.572 +384444.83
I rarely observe objects for their historical signifi-
cance, not because I'm uninterested but only due to a
lack of detailed knowledge about astronomical history!
But tonight I had the benefit of a fellow observer's
extensive reading and memorizing, to be able to view
the first star ever to have a proper motion measured;
also a star whose proper motion is among the largest
known, at a breathtaking 5.2" per year; and what's yet
more, a binary whose wobble indicates the probable
presence of a planetary system around the pair! (61
Cygni may also be the BINARY with the largest known
proper motion - but don't quote me on that one. :>)
--
This most "abstractly" fascinating binary stars was
none other than 61 Cygni. And add to all of that the

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: