Constellation: Sct
Data: mag 5.8  size 14'.0
Position: RA 18:51  DEC -06:16
September 1, 2001

After months of using the NGT-18, I broke out the venerable C8, and mounted
it on its pier.  Last night was the first clear night for quite a while, and
the sky was pretty transparent.  To top it all off, my daughter, son-in-law,
and her three girls were with us for the evening.  After our Bar-B-Que all
were clamoring for me to get out the telescope.  So I did.

Got my first peek at M11 this year.  I put the Nagler 20 into the holder,
and focused down into a clear sharp view.  Nice. The bright foreground
stars seemed to herald the wonderful vision to follow, that mighty cloud
of midgets from M11!

Stephanie, my 6-year-old granddaughter sat on my lap and looked into the
eyepiece, and just sat there for about a minute.  Then I noticed her finger
tapping at the air.  I couldn't figure out what she was doing for a moment,
then it came to me.  She was counting stars.

She quietly looked for maybe 10 minutes.

The other kids had come out and looked for a few seconds, then wanted to
know about the red flashlight, or what this or that thing was, but my little
astronomer was caught up in the main show.  What wonderful moments of
recognition; I remember my first view through the telescope.  I didn't want
to give it up either.

A half-hour later, the mighty midgets had danced behind a rising moonbeam,
and my daughter was starting the drumbeat to march her family home for a
night of counting sheep, or maybe stars.

What a satisfying evening I had had.

Clear Skies and magic to you,

Steve Robinson

To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: