Observation Poster: Dave Mitsky <djm28@psu.edu>

Observer: Dave Mitsky
Your skills: Advanced (many years)
Date/time of observation: 2001/9/15 04:45 UT
Location of site: Cherry Springs State Park, Potter County, PA (Lat 41d39'46" N, 77d49'24" W, Elev 800 meters)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 6.5+ <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 7 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 101mm f/5.4 Tele Vue Genesis sdf alt-azimuth refractor
Magnification: 15x
Filter(s): H-beta
Object(s): NGC 1499 (LBN 756)
Category: Emission nebula.
Class: HII region
Constellation: Perseus
Data: mag   size 140'x45'
Position: RA 04h:00.7m  DEC +36d:37'
One of the more esoteric objects that I observed at the 2001 Black Forest Star
Party at Cherry Springs State Park was the California Nebula (NGC 1499).  With
the aid of the very dark skies of CSSP and a borrowed H-beta filter my Tele Vue
Genesis sdf refractor displayed this normally elusive emission nebula in fine
fashion.  In fact, the views I had on Saturday and Monday mornings were the best
that I've ever had of NGC 1499.  The California Nebula is located just north of
xi Persei and somewhat resembles the state of California photographically.  It
appeared as a very large and somewhat faint rectangular expanse of gray at 15x
(35mm Panoptic).  NGC 1499 is approximately 1000 light years distant.
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.seds.org/~spider/spider/Misc/n1499.html
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: