Observation Poster: Dave Mitsky <djm28@psu.edu>

Observer: Dave Mitsky
Your skills: Advanced (many years)
Date/time of observation: 2001/6/17 01:25 UT
Location of site: Yavapai Point, Grand Canyon, Arizona (Lat ~36d N, 114d W, Elev 2333 meters)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 6.5+ <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 7 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 14.5" f/4.8 Litebox Dobsonian Newtonian
Magnification: 93x
Filter(s): None
Object(s): NGC 3621
Category: External galaxy.
Class: SA(s)d
Constellation: Hydra
Data: mag 9.6 (10.2)  size 12.4'x7.1' (10.0')
Position: RA 11h:18m16s  DEC -32d:48'42"
In June of 2001 I took an astronomy related vacation to Arizona, visiting the
Lowell Observatory, Anderson Mesa, the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, the
Skywatcher's Inn, and Kitt Peak.  The weather gods were kind to me in the
beginning but an early onset of the summer monsoon made stargazing impossible
the second half of my trip.

While attending the opening night of the Grand Canyon Star Party I viewed the
only unlogged object on my Astronomical League's Herschel 400 project.  Under
the very dark skies and more southerly latitude of the South Rim of the Grand
Canyon, NGC 3621 proved to be an easy target, which was quite unlike the case
from the site in Pennsylvania where I do most of my observing.  Jane and Morris
(Mojo) Jones, who I knew through the Internet, were gracious enough to allow me
the use of one of their 3 Litebox Dobs, a 14.5" f/4.8 that provided an excellent
view of this H400 galaxy with the help of a 19mm Tele Vue Panoptic.

NGC 3261 lay within a diamond of sixth and seventh magnitude field stars.  This
face-on spiral appeared as a fairly large, somewhat elongated oval with a rather
bright nucleus.

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: