Observation Poster: Barry Martasian <timetrav2@webtv.net>

Observer: Barry Martasian
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: October 10, 2001 9:30 pm est.
Location of site: North Kingstown, Rhode Island (Lat , Elev sea level)
Site classification: Suburban
Sky darkness: 4 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 7 <10-1 Seeing Scale (1 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: XT-8 1200mm f/6 dob
Magnification: 30X, 48X, 75X
Filter(s): none
Object(s): M57 (The Ring Nebula)
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Lyra
Data: mag 9.3  size
Position: RA :  DEC :
I used a 30X eye piece to located the "Ring". I know I passed over it
at least twice in my search because it appeared just a bit larger than
a pragnent star. This fine nebula has a wonderful star field
surrounding it that welcomes slow exploration. After trying 48X on the
object I felt the view was just a little better than the wide view I
used to locate it so I jumped up the power to 75X.
--
Using the 16mm ep the ring shown blueish in color in a sea of black
that is the home of many stars creating a very peaceful and lovely