Constellation: And
Data: mag 8.3  size 2.2'
Position: RA :  DEC :
Took a while too because it was at the zenith and took me to a bad position
lying down :-(.  But what a beautiful sight.  I couldn't find it with the 40mm,
and found it obviously not a star with my 30mm (30x).  Blue looking without a
doubt.  I jumped to my 8mm TV Radian (110x), definitely looked like a blue
ball.  At 146x and 176x (6mm TV Radian) something interesting happened.  I saw
a star nearby (the brightest star of the 3 in the picture - see link below)
with *averted* vision.  The ball is still bright, much brighter than mag 9.0
would suggest and definitely much brighter than M57. Then, I used my 4mm Radian
(220x) and 3mm Radian (293x) - wow!  Definitely, the right mag for the ball.
The thing that caught me was that I can now see the nearby 13.2 mag star with
*direct* vision.  This observation that I can see better with direct vision at
high magnification really surprised me.  Anyway, the ball looked blue all the
way up to 293x.  There may be even a hint of the internal oval shape, but I
guess it was my "oval" imagination.  No central star can be seen.

My favorite!

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: