Observation Poster: Ron B[ee] <ronby@home.com>

Observer: Ron B[ee]
Your skills: Beginner (< one year)
Date/time of observation: 11/17/01 12:00am PDT
Location of site: 117h 9m W (Lat 32h 43m N, Elev 2000 ft)
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 6 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 7 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: TV-102 (102mm f/8.6 APO refractor)
Magnification: see below
Filter(s): none
Object(s): NGC 2392
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Gem
Data: mag 8.0  size 47" x 43"
Position: RA :  DEC :
This morning around midnight, I observed NGC 2392, the Eskimo Nebula.  Easily
found at 22x (40mm Pentax XL) without any filter.  Immediately, I notice
his "wife", the yellowish 8.2 magnitude star SAO 79428 "standing besides him".
The nebula and the star looked like a double star.  Even at 22x, the Eskimo was
obviously non-stellar and slight larger than the star.  30x (30mm Ultima) gave
a similar view.  Bluish green at 60x; direct vision caused the nebula to blink
and disappear totally.  The 10.6 mag central star was easily seen.  Got very
interesting at 110x (8mm TV Radian) with a round shape nebulosity and bright.
Direct vision does not make it go away.  Central star very easily seen.
*Brighter* nebulosity at 146x (6mm Radian).  176x (5mm Tak LE), 220x (4mm
Radian), and 293x (3mm Radian) were all intoxicating!  The Eskimo retained this
brightness and the nebulosity simply kept getting larger and larger.  So I went
for broke with my Ultima 2X Barlow.  The Eskimo retains his brightness at 352x
and graniness in the nebulosity can now be detected!  But lost color after
293x.  Dim slightly at 440x but graininess is still apparent.  Took a while to
get focus right at 586x; the Eskimo got a dimmed further, but still plenty
bright with graininess!  I've never used this igloo size magnification on any
PN so far.  Wow, what a view!  The Eskimo and wife are truly hospitable to the
TV-102.  BTW, I can't say I saw any "clown face", the other name for NGC 2392.

A high-quality 4" APO is truly very capable of observing planetary nebula!

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: