Observation Poster: Kim Gowney <kapeji@sniffout.com>

Observer: Kim Gowney
Your skills: Advanced (many years)
Date/time of observation: 15 December 2001  19:00 UT
Location of site: UK West Wales (Lat 52, Elev )
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 7 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 6 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 200mm  Newtonian F5
Magnification: 50,100,200
Filter(s): OIII
Object(s): NGC 6842
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Vul
Data: mag 13.6  size 50"
Position: RA 19:55  DEC +29:17
 This Planetary was very difficult to see, it's listed V mag of 13.7 and the DSS
 image made it seem a straightforward enough target but it proved to be very
 elusive, it did not show at all at any magnification without the OIII filter
 but once that was used it gradually came into view, I had a black cloth to
 exclude any stray light and slowly a faint smudge of light showed itself in
 the correct position, oddly enough once I had found it it became a little
 easier to see this was partly due to the improved dark adaption of the cloth
 but also because my eyes now knew what they were looking for, and whereas at
 first it was only visible with averted vision I could now look straight at it
 it took nearly 30 minutes to find!!

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: