Constellation: Tri
Data: mag 5.7  size 73' x 45', 1'x1', 1'x1'
Position: RA 01:30  DEC +30:40
Beautiful and bright galaxy, but with relatively low surface
brightness. At 40x spanning about 1/2 field of view. It has got a
large core, with some brightening toward center, a huge brighter part
of the halo, and much smaller faint part fading into darkness
slowly. Using averted vision I couldn't clearly see the spiral arms,
but I could guess something that could be it, looking more like a line
than arc. A dark cloth over my head helped me to see spiral arms
clearly. They are curved near the core and at the end, and between it
they are really "line" and not an arc. I could find NGC 604 easily, it
was situated out of the galaxy, near faint halo's edge. It was very
small so I switched to 100x. It looked just slightly larger, very
faint, averted vision showed me more oval than round shape. It is
almost uniform, but fades out fastly. At 200x it completely
disappeared and I couldn't detect it with averted vision. After this,
I tried to catch some more nebulae in M 33. Only at NGC 595 position I
could find a faint stellar object at 40x, but at 100x there was no
sign of it. Sketch of M 33 is available at the mentioned URL.
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.geocities.com/natkobajic
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: