Observation Poster: Ron B[ee] <ronby@home.com>

Observer: Ron B[ee]
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 01/13/01 11:00pm PST
Location of site: 117h 9m W (Lat 32h 43m N, Elev 2000 ft)
Site classification: Exurban
Sky darkness: 4.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 7 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: TV-102 (102mm f/8.6 APO refractor)
Magnification: 22x, 30x, 60x, 110x, 146x, 176x, 220x, 293x, 356x
Filter(s): none
Object(s): NGC 3242
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Hya
Data: mag 7.8  size 42" x 36"
Position: RA :  DEC :
Tonight, a somewhat steady night has returned. I decided to spend some time
with old buddies, TV-102, Jupiter and Saturn.  Great views.

Next, the TV-102 decided to exorcise the Ghost of Jupiter (NGC 3242), a mag 8
PN. It was quite low on the eastern horizon. At 22x (40mm Pentax XL), I
immediately noticed that it looked a lot smaller than Jupiter! More like an
unfocused green star. Round green shape and clearly a PN at 30x. Very bright
greenish at 60x and the PN is enclosed by 3 stars: mag 9.8 GSC 6065:589, mag
11.1 GSC 6065:765, and mag 12.3 GSC 6065:706. One more star, a mag 12.5 GSC
6065:720, a near GSC 6065:706 showed up at 110x (8mm TV Radian PN killer).
There appeared to be a very faint nebulosity surrounding the PN. Still smaller
than Jupiter. 6mm Radian (146x) revealed uneven brightness with the PN, hint
of oval shape detected. More of the same at 176x, still green. 220x still
showed the 4 stars enclosing the PN and the size of the PN seemed to match the
size of Jupiter at 110x. Graininess can now be seen within the PN. Why I may
even imagine two bands - just kidding!  Very green and a definite, slightly
oval shape. At 293x (3mm Radian), the 4 stars just about fit in the FOV.
Shockingly, I glimpsed an annulus. Still very bright, grainy and green. 356x
gave similar view. Now I got you folks out there with 45deg AFOV orthos
converted to try wide-field viewing (such as the Radian), right ;-)? The only
disappointment was that the TV-102 failed to capture the 12.3 magnitude central
star :-(. Consulting with the old master, Burnham, he noted, "There is a bright, strongly elliptical inner ring which strikingly resembles the outline
of a human eye… The eye is enclosed by a fainter outer shell of nearly
spherical form… The blue-green tint …”  The TV-102 failed to wink at any eye as
well.  Later, I did some research and was very satisfied that my view looked a
heck of a lot like this excellent sketch with a 10" Newt I found on the web,
only a wee less bright! Note the graininess. I may add that the TV-102 did not
use any filter.
http://www.jwebdale.btinternet.co.uk/ngc3242.htm

Anyone care to guess why NGC 3242 is called the Ghost of Jupiter? I couldn't
figure out! But then, it hit me in the belly like the comet that hit Jupiter!
The TV-102/Radian was hinting all night!  Most of us can see the 4 moons of
Jupiter, right? Well, 4 moons vs 4 stars surrounding NCG 3242 ;-). Yeah, right
(sounding sarcastic)!

Tonight, the TV-102 managed to reassure me that it is not only a capable little
planetary preacher, but it's also a capable little DSO exorcist ;-).

Ron B[ee]

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: