Observation Poster: William L. Schart <wschart@hot.rr.com>

Observer: William L. Schart
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 5/31/02 10:34 pm CDT
Location of site: Killeen, TX (Lat 31 07, Elev 600 ft)
Site classification: Suburban
Sky darkness: 3.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 6 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: Celestron 8: SCT, fork mount
Magnification: 80x, 120x, 165x, 200x
Filter(s): none
Object(s): gamma Virginis
Category: Multiple star.
Class:
Constellation: Vir
Data: mag 3.4-3.5  size 1"(?)
Position: RA 12:42  DEC -1:27
The seeing is not great tonight, but at high power, I got some signs of elongation. I tried the barlow, but the seeing wasn’t up to it tonight.

Further info: In my 1957 edition of Norton's, the following footnote appears: "A fine binary with a period of about 180 years. Its orbit is very eccentric. In 1780 its distance was 5".7 (sic)/ It closed up till in 1836 (0".3-0".5 d.), it appeared aingle in all but the Great Dorpat refractor (9 1/2 in. aperture), which elongated the star. The pair then widened, becoming an easy telescopic object, and reaching its widest (6".2) about 1920. Ii is now (1939) slowly closing, and will again appear single, except in large instruments, about the year 2016."

--
Optional related URLs: http://www.carbonar.es/s33/33.html
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: