Observation Poster: Barry Martasian <timetrav2@webtv.net>

Observer: Barry Martasian
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: July 5, 2002 10:00 PM est.
Location of site: Frosty Drew Observatory, Charlestown, Rhode Island (Lat , Elev Sea Level)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 5 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 5 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: XT-8 1200mm f:6 dob
Magnification: 25mm
Filter(s): none
Object(s): M4
Category: Globular cluster.
Class: rich and compact
Constellation: Sco
Data: mag 7  size 20'
Position: RA :  DEC :
The sky just above the horizon still had a bit of blue in it and around Antares the sky appeared to be very "muddy". After locating M4 it appeared to me that the sky was just to bright to see this cluster in it's full splender, as it appeared to be very dull in color, and at 48X I was having no real hint of resloving stars on the outer edges.  I thought it would be better to come back to M4 later in the evening when it would be darker.

At about 11:30 I checked back and discovered that the sky was a little darker but that M4 was impossible to find. I search the area then another experience observer also looked with no luck.  We noticed during the eveng that although there didn't seem to be many clouds in the sky that the stars were getting more and more obscure and almost invisible in a sea of "grey mud".  On July 6th I discovered that the North East was being covered by the smoke plume from forest fires in Southern Canada. I can only guess that this was the logical explanation for our observing problems in locating M4.
--
Optional related URLs: http://community-2.webtv.net/Timetrav2/TIMETRAVELERS/
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: