Observation Poster: Barry Martasian <timetrav2@webtv.net>

Observer: Barry Martasian
Your skills: Beginner (< one year)
Date/time of observation: July 10, 2002 10:00 est.
Location of site: North Kingstown, Rhode Island (Lat , Elev sea level)
Site classification: Suburban
Sky darkness: 5.5 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 7 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: XT-8, 1200mm f:6, dob
Magnification: 48X & 92
Filter(s): none
Object(s): M4
Category: Open cluster.
Class:
Constellation: Sco
Data: mag 6  size 26.3'
Position: RA :  DEC :
M4 is a wonderful globular cluster west of Antares. Even though the sky was clear I had a little trouble locating M4 because there seemed to be a band of light along the horizon.  I first located it with my 10X50 binoculars then in my telescope using 48X.  At this power M4 seemed dull floating in a background that was far from dark and more on a greyish side.
Hoping to darken the sky a bit I boosted the power to 92X. The result was that the sky was a little darker but the cluster did not improve very much. I wish there was a way to get this object up a little higher to get it out of the "light dome".
--
Optional related URLs: http://community-2.webtv.net/Timetrav2/TIMETRAVELERS/
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: