Observation Poster: Gary A. Weston <peepsquack@hotmail.com>

Observer: Gary A. Weston
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 8/10/02 10:05pm EST
Location of site: Stellafane - Springfield Vt. (Lat , Elev )
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 7 <1-10 Scale (10 best)>
Seeing: 8 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 10" F/10 SCT (Meade LX200)
Magnification: 71.4x, 78.1x, 96.15x, 131.6x (+2x barlow)
Filter(s):
Object(s): NGC 6853, M27
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class: >
Constellation: Vul
Data: mag 7.60  size 402.0"
Position: RA 19:59  DEC 22:43
M27 is a beautiful floating cottonball.  The lobe shape is easily visible with the 19 panoptic and very bright, well defined, and grey in color.  It looks nearly like it does in the CCD images I have seen, except for the lack of color.  The object is nearly as defined in the 35 panoptic, but due to the lower magnification, the details are less apparent. The view of the wider starfield however gives a 3D appearance to it.  I have never seen M27 this bright before. Thanks to the clear and dark(er) Vermont skies. From my estimates from the surrounding star field and use of cartes du ciel, I could visually identify a star of 12.74mag.
--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: