Observation Poster: Dave Mitsky <djm28@psu.edu>

Observer: Dave Mitsky
Your skills: Advanced (many years)
Date/time of observation: 2002/10/8 06:30:00 UT
Location of site: Tuscarora State Forest near Mifflintown, PA (Lat ~40d30', Elev ?)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: ~6.0 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: ~8 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 14.5" f/4.3 Starmaster Skytracker Dob with Paracorr
Magnification: 83x, 107x
Filter(s): None
Object(s): Andromeda II (PGC 4601)
Category: External galaxy.
Class: dE0 (dE3?)
Constellation: Pisces
Data: mag 12.5 (13.5p)  size 2.0'x2.0'
Position: RA 01h:16.4m  DEC +33d:26'
One of the many deep-sky objects that Tony Donnangelo and I observed while at
this remote site was the dwarf spheroidal galaxy Andromeda II.  Through
Tony's Starmaster at 83 (22mm Tele Vue Nagler type 4) and 107x (17mm Tele Vue
Nagler type 4) this member of the Local Group was small, round, and rather dim.
Andromeda II was discussed in an article by Jay Reynolds Freeman that appeared
in the October 2002 issue of Sky & Telescope.

We also observed these other members of the Local Group - IC 342, Maffei I, M31,
M32, M110, the Milky Way, and NGC 185.

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: