Constellation: Eri
Data: mag 9.60  size 21"
Position: RA 04:14  DEC -12:44
The PNe was easily located after slewing the scope east from gamma Eri.
At 64x the PNe was clearly non-stellar and showed a very strong blueish
hue. The central star was very obvious and appeared blue/white. 117x began
to show an inner ovalish region surrounded (appearing blueish as well)
by an outer spherical envelope. The outer spherical envolope was more pale
blue. At 280-370x the inner oval surrounding the central star showed a dark
void immediately surrounding the central star. The outer spherical envelope
appeared a bit more grey, but the 'eye' was a very obvious pale blue. The object
reminds me of NGC 3242, but with much less contrast between the inner oval and
outer spherical envelope and appearing more blue (as I recall NGC 3242 seemed
to show more green). Quite a sight indeed!

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: