Constellation: UMa
Data: mag 11.0p  size 2.7' X 1.8'
Position: RA 09:42  DEC +58:51
Small.  Round.  Bright core.  Located with direct vision at 72x.  Bears
magnification well.  Best seen at 136x.

NOTE: The Revised New General Catalog lists the dimensions as 3.2'X 2.1'
while Uranometria 2000 shows 2.7'X 1.8'.  The data listed in Uranometria
seem closer to matching my observation.  Either set of data would indicate
that the object is elliptical.  Examination of the Digitized Sky Survey image
confirms that the galaxy is elliptical.  If there was any elongation along any
axis, I could not detect it.  At low power (36x) only the bright core was
visible, which made the galaxy appear as another field star.  Increasing
magnification to 72x clearly revealed the galaxy.  The disk is uniform in
brightness and the edges gently fade into the background.  The core brightens
rather abruptly and at lower powers appears nearly stellar.

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: