Observation Poster: Kim Gowney <kapeji@sniffout.com>

Observer: Kim Gowney
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 23 Jan 2003 20:15 UT
Location of site: UK West Wales (Lat , Elev )
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 6 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 5 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 200mm Newtonian
Magnification: 50,100, 200
Filter(s): None
Object(s): NGC 604
Category: Extragalactic HII.
Class:
Constellation: Tri
Data: mag 9  size 15"
Position: RA 01:34  DEC +30:47
I was looking at M33 when I noticed this bright spot of nebulosity NE of the
Galaxy centre, at first I assumed it was another galaxy but it seemed very
bright, then I suspected it was perhaps a Comet as I thought it was further
from M33 than it actually was ( I could only see the central region of the
galaxy), but on checking with Skymap I could immediately see by position and
the star asterism nearby that it is in fact an HII region within the galaxy
itself, later research shows that it is in fact enormous being 1500 LY across
and contains over 200 massive new stars which light the nebula up, it is the largest HII region known.
I cannot imagine what it would be like if it were as close as the Orion nebula but without doubt it would be the showpiece of the Milky Way!!

Size and magnitude are estimated only

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: