(IAAC) Obj: Sigma CrB (Struve 2032) - Inst: Discovery DHQ 8" dobsonian

IAAC Deep-Sky Observing Log Entry

Name of observer: Tom Campbell
Your observing skills then:  Advanced (many years)
Date/time of observation: June 6, 2003 11:30pm CDT

Site type:  Exurban
Location: Iola, Kansas (Long: 95o24'W Lat: 37o55'N)
Transparency: Clear (8/10)
Seeing: Mostly Stable (7/10)
Moon presence: Major - Gibbous or near object

Instrument: Discovery DHQ 8" dobsonian
Powers: 49x, 81x, 125x, 203x, 305x
Filters: None

Deep Sky Object: Sigma Coronae Borealis (Struve 2032)
Object category: Multiple Star.
Object class:

Constellation: CrB
Position: RA: 16h 14m 42s | Dec: +33o52'
Object data: Mag: 5.8, 6.7

With the nearly first quarter Moon high overhead as twilight neared an
end, I knew that my Herschel galaxies were out of the question from my
back yard.  So instead, I gathered up the last couple of issues of
Sky&Telescope to see what objects were featured. As it turned out,
most of the observing articles were about double stars. In the
moonlight, doubles seemed the best course to take, so I thought it was
fitting. I hand-picked several of those listed that I either hadn't
seen yet, or else I hadn't visited in quite a while. I began in Corona
Borealis, but the glare of the Moon in that region of sky made me
retreat Draco, the land of the Dragon.
--
This pair could barely be split at 49x. The best view was at 125x,
where there was a nice separation and the colors were easier to