Observation Poster: Barry Wakelin <barry@wakelin.me.uk>

Observer: Barry Wakelin
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 19 Sept 2003 22:30 UT
Location of site: Hampshire, England (Lat 51 degrees, Elev 95m)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 6.0 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 5 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: APM/TMB 130mm f/7 refractor on Losmandy GM8 and pier
Magnification: 28x, 91x, 130x, 253x
Filter(s): None
Object(s): NGC6543
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Draco
Data: mag 8.8  size 18"
Position: RA 17:58  DEC 66:38
These observations were made using my Taurus Tracker's view port rather than
the superior Televue Everbrite diagonal that I nortmally use as I was
intending to do some astrophotography a little later.

Using a 32mm Televue Plossl (28x) as a starting point I pointed the scope so
it was mid-way between the two pairs of close stars (27 and 28 Draco and 42
and 36 Draco respectively) that are above and below the nebula in Draco.
After a little searching I found the slightly extended stellar looking object
right next to a mag 9.8 star.  At this magnification the nebula looked
unexepectedly yellowy orange compared to the star.

Swapping to my 10mm Radian (91x) made the nebula much more obvious and the
colour became cyan and the shape became more oval.

A move to my 7mm Nagler (130x) failed to show any more of the shape so I
swapped to the 3.6mm Tak HI LE (253x).  Everything remained very bright but
now I could see a more cat's eye shape, a small extension to the oval nebula
to the north (most obviously) and south.  There was little sign of gradations
in the nebula's brightness, possibly due to the poor diagonal in use but there
were signs of mottling around the centre of the object.
--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: