Constellation: CVn
Data: mag 9.28  size
Position: RA :  DEC :
First thing noticed is the very distinct, fat elongation NW-SE and also the
very bright core. Actually, there's a very bright central oval area with much
dimmer arms and in the center a bright, stellar core, offset just slightly to
the SW of the centerline of the galaxy. Interesting how the nucleus has kind
of a thin fingernail shaped swath cutting below it (leading side), and also on
the leading side of the nucleus, there seems to be a dark lane curving around
there, too. Not a really prominent feature, but I get whispers of something
like that. North of the nucleus seems to be the most interesting part of the
galaxy, with wispy mottling in there. Maybe even a little dark patch in there,
too, all of this only hinted at. Also to the south of the nucleus I keep
getting a star or brighter spot popping out, pretty close in. There's a
central area that's large and oval, then beyond that a very thin filmy glow.
200x doesn't do too much for it. I notice the nuclear area seems to tilt a
little bit out of line from the rest of the galaxy, maybe slightly more E-W
than the galaxy tilts.

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: