Constellation: Mon
Data: mag   size
Position: RA :  DEC :
In 50x I can see the star at the end and the triangular shaped nebula. A very
nice view in 100x. I get a little bit of the curvature in the following edge
 of the nebulosity, which is fan-shaped with the star at the tip pointing
south. It diffuses pretty smoothly out to the north, but I can see some
mottling in it. Also it looks like the following edge right down by the star
is probably the brightest part of the nebula. There is a little sparkliness in
the nebulosity- maybe that's the seeing tonight. When I go to 200x, there is
an odd effect of the tip star seeming to disappear- maybe an artifact of the
seeing. All I see is nebulosity and a hint of the star- nowhere nearly as
definite as in the lower powers. Also the nebulosity is more sparkly,
reminiscent of what I often see in the Ring Nebula. The longer I look at it in
200x, the better I can see the tiny tip star, but it's much less prominent in
200x than in 100x or 50x. I get consistent impressions of a knot of brighter
material very close to the tip star but more down along the following edge,
about 15" or so down from the star. I'm also still getting little
starlike "pops" in the nebulosity. It actually takes 360x pretty well- I don't
lose much of the nebula and the star remains distinct.

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: