Observation Poster: Shane Sweeney <shane_sweeney@hotmail.com>

Observer: Shane Sweeney
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 00:00 Feb 18 2004
Location of site: Tahlequah OK (Lat 35.9N 96.52W, Elev 250m)
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 5.5 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: 6 <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 4" Off Axis Dobsonian
Magnification: x29, x82
Filter(s):
Object(s): M 65, M66, M96
Category: External galaxy.
Class:
Constellation: Leo
Data: mag ~9.5  size ~9' x 4'
Position: RA :  DEC :
Have been mostly a shallow sky guy with planets and multiple star systems, but
now I want to push this amazing little 4" scope to the limit. The darkness was
fair and seeing was Ok but there was some upper level clouds that put a haze
on everything. Once I got in the right place with star hopping M66 and 65
were quite apparent with direct vision and M65 looked very much like a little
version of M32. When I cranked the mag up to 82x the sky was darker but
that was about the only difference in the FOV. I then bounced over to M105 but
found M96 instead by accident. It was even brighter than the other two
and looked very round almost like a open spiral. The very high contrast of this
scope is still making up for the modest aperature. Clear Skies from
Oklahoma..... Shane Sweeney
--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: