Constellation: Ori
Data: mag   size
Position: RA :  DEC :
With my handy new HB atlas and an H-Beta filter, it took all of
5 seconds to nail it's exact position. IC434(the backlight) and
its sharp boundary were clearly defined. The torso of the horse
was fairly easy with direct vision, and with effort coupled with
averted vision, I was able to trace the outline along the top of
the horshead as it pointed downward. I was able to trace the
contours along the top of the head down the lengh of the snoot, but
wasn't able to do the same for the underside of the nose. As you
can imagine, I spent a fair amount of time on this to see what
detail could be coaxed. All in all, considering the conditions, you
could say I was pretty thrilled with the results. For kicks, once I
knew exactly where it was, I tried without the filter. I could
still faintly make out IC434 and its sharp boundary, but making out
the torso was very hard. With averted vision, the notch was
barely glimpsed. Without the benefit just using the filter and knowing
its exact size and position, it would have been a negative report. Transparency
was hit and miss on this night, so I was very happy with the results.

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: