Constellation: Gem
Data: mag 11.7  size 8"
Position: RA 06:25.9  DEC +17:47'
Jonckheere 900 is a small planetary nebula in the constellation Gemini.  It is small but relatively bright. But its non-NGC name makes it a neglected target. This is a mistake!

After locating the correct field with U2000.0 (1st edition) and a printout from Digitized Sky Survey I easily saw the nebula as a starlike object at 38X (32mm Plössl) with my 80/1200mm Vixen achromat. There is a star of similar magnitude only about 1' from J900. At 38X it looked just like any other star, but upping the power to 133X (9mm ortho) barely revealed a small disk, slightly bigger than the star right next to it. 200X (6mm ortho) showed the disk nicely, although faint. The central star is fainter than mag 16 and was naturally far beyond reach. But has anyone seen it with a 20" to 24" dob?

Thomas Jensen, Denmark
--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: