Constellation: Cep
Data: mag   size
Position: RA 20:46  DEC 68:
Although this was observed a couple of months back, it's an interesting
enough object, hence this report.

This is a variable nebula in Cepheus that's slightly fan shaped and
variable. It's illuminated by the variable star PV Cep, which itself
varies between 18 and 11th mag. I jumped over to it from LBN 487
around a 7th magnitude star (SAO 19158). LBN 487 itself was very
obvious and a nice jumping-off point.

A couple of references to it can be found on Tom Polakis' website
(http://www.psiaz.com/polakis/deepsky/gyul.html), the SkyHound
website (http://www.skyhound.com/sh/archive/oct/GM_1-29.html) and the
Astrim website (http://astrim.free.fr/gyulb.htm). I can't find a
magnitude listed anywhere, unless I've overlooked it, but it comes
recommended for a 10" or larger scope. It was just barely visible in
the 14.5", although the fan shape did show up a bit from time to
time. From an even darker site, I suspect it would fare much better.

Although it /was/ visible at 111x (15mm Panoptic), the added darkness
(or should I say, "reduced brightness" :-) of the sky background at
185x (9mm Nagler) helped more. I tried it also at 248x (6.7mm Meade
Ultra Wide Angle), but it really didn't help and the view and 185 was
still better on that night. Although as I mentioned, it /did/ appear
fan-shaped now and then, it was the exception rather than the rule.

--
Optional related URLs:
To stop receiving all 'netastrocatalog' lists, use the Web forms at: