Constellation: Sgr
Data: mag -  size 30x20'
Position: RA :  DEC :
The Trifid Nebula looks spectacular at all powers and particularly at high
power. 342x does reveal a number of detail in the nebula and its 3 prominent
dark lanes. The W lane does actually split up into 2 lanes (one going N, the
other going W). The S lane is the thinnest and features sharp edges. As it goes
over into the E lane it does get wider and the edges are not as well defined
anymore. North of M20 I could see the faint mottled glow of the attached
reflection nebula. This part of M20 is better seen at 131x because of its very
low SB. The Trifid Nebula is a very difficult object in a small scope and so I
was surprised to find it that spactacular in my 15-inch Dobson.
--
Optional related URLs: