Constellation: For
Data: mag various  size various
Position: RA :  DEC -35°:
With the help of the Night Sky Observer's Guide I did scan through the Fornax I
cluster. I could identify all 15 plotted galaxies and saw several more faint
ones that are not catalogued in the Observer's Guide. The brightest of all
cluster members are NGC 1399 and 1404 (8,8 and 9,7magv) They reminded me of M84
and M86. Both are bright eliptical galaxies that show no details such as spiral
structure or else. In fact - non of the members of the Fornax Cluster does show
more than differently shaped ovals with more or less bright cores and centers.
The overall number of galaxies I could see was around 20 in a field of 3
degrees diameter. Some 10 members of the cluster are brighter than 12magv!

--
Optional related URLs: