Constellation: CMa
Data: mag - -  size 6x8'
Position: RA :  DEC :
Phantastic! Very bright nebula that is best observed with an OIII filter. At
131x with filter the shape of NGC 2359 reminds me of a pelikan or duck with a
very long bill. The nebula features an almost round part of 6' diameter that
looks like a huge planetary nebula. Attached to the S is a bright 8x2' long
streak that resembles the head and bill of the duck. The N-edge of the round
part also contains a smaller, bright filament that can be seen as the feet of
the duck. Several stars are embedded in NGC 2359. Very beautiful nebula and
definitely something I should have observed much earlier!

--
Optional related URLs: