Observation Poster: Ron Ziss <m64blackeye@yahoo.com>

Observer: Ron Ziss
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 02/03/2005 4:45 UT
Location of site: Lombard, IL (Lat 42, Elev 0)
Site classification: Urban
Sky darkness: 7 <Bortle Scale (9 worst)>
Seeing: 3 <I-V Seeing Scale (I best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 6" f/8 refractor (Celestron CR-150 HD)
Magnification: X330
Filter(s): O III
Object(s): NGC 2440
Category: Planetary nebula.
Class: 5 + 3
Constellation: Puppis
Data: mag 11  size 10"
Position: RA 07:42  DEC -18:13'
A very nice compact Planetary Nebulae that survives light polluted skies.
On this night the seeing and transparency were only fair, though it was calm at
intervals.  Bright enough to be seen without a filter, though better with an
O III.  No more than a swollen star at low power, magnification is needed to get
resolution.  Though listed as being up to an arc minute in size, only 10" or so
of the core is visible at first.

At high power its a smeary but viable double knot. To make sure that what I
was seeing was true, I tried to determine the orientation of the knots to an
8th magnitude field star east of the nebula.  This I did.  In time, I also
picked out an egg-shaped haze surrounding the core and extending the size
of the nebula. The haze points roughly, but not quite directly, to the
field star.  While the long axis of the haze ran approx. East - West, the
knots stacked one over the other North - South.  The nebula is classified
5 + 3, irregular form, irregular disk, and now I can see why.

Being a bit whimsical, I like to call this object the "Burning Ember" since
it glows small and bright even in my light polluted skies, and I know it is
supposed to contain the hottest central star of any known Planetary.  Given
the amount of detail NGC 2440 reveals even under modest conditions with a
6" refractor, it is really quite a remarkable object.
--
Optional related URLs: