Observation Poster: Ron Ziss <m64blackeye@yahoo.com>

Observer: Ron Ziss
Your skills: Intermediate (some years)
Date/time of observation: 07/13/2002 5:15 UT
Location of site: Lombard, IL (Lat 42, Elev 0)
Site classification: Urban
Sky darkness: 8 <Bortle Scale (9 worst)>
Seeing:  <1-10 Seeing Scale (10 best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 6" f/8 refractor (Celestron CR-150 HD)
Magnification: X60
Filter(s): UHC
Object(s): M8
Category: Emission nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Sagittarius
Data: mag 4.6  size 90' X 40'
Position: RA 18:04  DEC -24:23'
>From my light polluted site all I see at first is the brightest part of M8, a
sphere of light, next to a bright star cluster NGC 6530.  In time I can make out
two stars imbedded within the sphere, and a bright section at the south-west
part of the globe.  Across from this is a fainter bar of light separated by a
dark gulf.  It is this gulf which gave M8 its name, the Lagoon Nebula, although
as O'Meara and Burnham point out it is much more of a channel than a "lagoon".

Under dark skies I saw much nebulosity around both the sphere and the star
cluster, but not so in Lombard even when switching to a 12" dob.  Surprisingly,
the refractor gave me the better view of this object from my comprimised
location, well enough to see how it got its name.

The star cluster adds beauty to the whole view.  Through my star diagonal I see
2 stars at the base of the cluster, a square of 4 stars above that, a line of 3
stars at a 45 degree angle to the top right corner of the box, then a small
triangle above the whole group at the top.  To the left of this cluster the
glowing sphere, the faint bar, and the dark gulf between-  a beautiful sight
the light pollution could not rob me of, thanks to the UHC filter and some
patience at the eyepiece.
--
Optional related URLs: