Constellation: Sex
Data: mag 9.2  size 8.3
Position: RA 10:05.2  DEC -07:43
- S0 galaxy in sextans - Mag 9.2 -  RA 10: 05.2 D -07 : 43 Best view with the
14mm pentax at 100x.  Spindle like galaxy oriented east-west diagonally in the
eyepiece.  Stellar core with direct vision surrounded by a spindle haze.  With
averted vision the core expands to look like a very sharp silver needle.  At
135x the extra contrast develops the background a little more.  Looks like a
small hazy almost stellar companion to the west, but not sure, things are
pretty dewy now.  There are a couple 14mag stars near the core.  Indeed,
looking up 3115 shows that it does have a companion where I thought I saw one.
Asking around cloudynights forums though, it looks like I could be mistaken, but
my little sketch of it showed a fuzzy spot in the place of the real companion,
so, who knows.
--
Optional related URLs: