Constellation: Her
Data: mag 9.4  size 3.8
Position: RA 16:47.0  DEC 47:32
In Hercules, at ~ 4¾° E of tau Her. The object is not very spectacular at the binoculars. Forms an equilateral triangle with two stars located at the west of magv ~ 7-8 (these stars are SAO 46280 and SAO 46278). NGC 6229 is visible only with averted vision, which helps much to improve the aspect of the object; indeed, in the first seconds of observation, I notice that the cluster is stellar in appearance. But at the end of a few minutes, I easily distinguish a small halo surrounding the center.
--
Optional related URLs: