Observation Poster: Len Philpot <len@philpot.org>

Observer: Len Philpot
Your skills: Advanced (many years)
Date/time of observation: 12/10/2004 23:00 CST
Location of site: Catahoula Lake, LA (Lat 31:28:49, Elev ~60')
Site classification: Rural
Sky darkness: 6.4 <Limiting magnitude>
Seeing: III <I-V Seeing Scale (I best)>
Moon presence: None - moon not in sky
Instrument: 14.5" f4.5 Dob/Newt
Magnification: TeleVue Nagler 9mm, 185x
Filter(s): None
Object(s): NGC 2261, LBN 920 (Hubble's Variable Nebula)
Category: Reflection nebula.
Class:
Constellation: Mon
Data: mag   size
Position: RA :  DEC :
VERY NICE! This object, perhaps more than any other I've observed in a long time, visually appears closest to images I've seen of the object. Usually,
there's a significant gap between images and what's seen in the eyepiece, but
this is very close.

It's a curving triangular (fan shaped) object that extends away from 11th mag R
Mon. The two edges that make up the vertext of the triangle that "touches" R
Mon are definitely much harder-edged than the other one. It just gradually
fades into invisibility. Nice contrast against the dark sky.

--
Optional related URLs: