Constellation: Car
Data: mag 7.2  size 2 deg
Position: RA 10:44  DEC -59:52
At Ilford [New South Wales, Australia], on Mar 28, 1998 during the South Pacific Star Party, I observed the "Homonculus" around the giant orange star Eta Carinae itself. This is a famous object studied in great detail by the Hubble Space Telescope and it's really quite stunning to view it, even at much less detail in an earth-bound 10". Through a 17" I had a look through that evening it was large and yellow. Quite amazing!

I have observed this region often; it's basically a must-see whenever you're out and it's up. The region around the Keyhole, or homonculus, is thick with bright nebulosity. The region is easily seen with the naked-eye and is spectacular whatever aperture is used at low power. Turn up the magnification to see the Homonculus around Eta itself.
--
Optional related URLs: