Constellation: For
Data: mag 9.5  size 9.4' x 6.6'
Position: RA 02:46.3  DEC -30:17
In Fornax, at ~ 2¼ degree N of Bêta For. At my great surprise, this barred
spiral coperate to leave some photons at my 9x63 binoculars, despite the low
height at the horizon. The object is visible only with averted vision, 30%-40%
of the time. Careful observations show that NGC 1097 presents an appreciable
extent at 9x and is in an axis ESE-WNW. I even manage to perceive a small
lengthening. Extremely interesting object!
--
Optional related URLs: