Constellation: Canes Venatici
Data: mag   size
Position: RA 13h:13.5n  DEC 42:17
>From Cor Caroli (Alpha Canes Venaticorum)in binoculars (10x50), see a spoon-
like asterism about 3 degrees NW. To the left part of the triad of
the asterism, up a degree, find a chalky patch with two stars N or it.
I see the chalk dust on a dark slate with my light pollution at x25.
Higher powers (x40, x80) start to resolve the elongation and barring, but
barely. Averted vision shows more "mottling" of the central disk but
I can hardly see clear lanes. I after awhile (at x100, and 103 - 103
a Plössel) the faintest outline of a bar heading N to the two stars.
The Deep Sky filter brings out the glow and slightly "bubbling" nature
of the object. To me the elongation seems N-S or S-N after an intial
impression of E-W or W-E, but the object is quite large and I do not
see all of it due possibly to light pollution and a condensation haze
that had moved in.

--
Optional related URLs: http://www.geocities.com/kentauruscom/NAR_home.htm