Constellation: Canes Venatici
Data: mag 6  size >10 '
Position: RA 13h:39  DEC +28:c. 40
Low power (25, 80) shows an asterism of three stars (mag 7? to 9?)
surrounding this hazy object, noticeably brighter than M 53 (my observation
of April 6, 2007 at c. 2130 UT, with about the same seeing as tonight-which I
left out of the log!). Also noticeably larger. I note a glow around the main
ball of stars (over 45,000 by some counts) about an arc second away and this
is probably the collected light of outliers.

I do not discern outliers at any power. UHC at higher power (103 and above)
gives me some sandy contrast. Averted vision shows this better and at one
point I see a silver flash from one point in the middle of the ball.

Light pollution is always a challenge: hop from Arcturus strraight NE after
identifying with good binoculars. 200 power shows a glowing ball with little
contrast but shows me the halo of light from the outliers (if that is what it
is) a bit more.
--
Optional related URLs: http://www.geocities.com/kentauruscom/NAR_home.htm